Saturday, March 9, 2013

90-Day Slim Down: Week 1

Well here we are 90-days until summer vacation and I've begun my 90-day workout plan.  Week 1 starts off easy and only covers four days.  I have no idea why it doesn't start on a Monday.  The plan actually starts on Wednesday and includes Saturday, but I moved everything up a day as we're out of town this weekend.

Tuesday - 30 minute morning cardio of your choice.   The weather held out for me and although cold/windy there was no rain.  So I headed to the park, set my timer for 30 minutes, and ran the outdoor path.  20 minutes at a good jog and then 10 minutes walking.  Not bad!

Wednesday - Cardio Circuit. Squats, push-ups, lunges, and tricep dips....repeat, repeat, repeat!  Finished it and learned some important lessons: (1) I have really poor upper body strength, (2) I need to get my workout in as early as possible before I run out of time, and (3) I wouldn't last a day at basic training.

Thursday - Cardio Intervals.  Headed to the gym to hit the elliptical for this one.  Easier to time myself for those 30 sec sprints and my knees will thank me in the morning.  I know the length of these sprints is going to go up as I move through the program, but today I felt good and was able to finish strong.  Good cardio and calorie-burning in a quick 30 minutes!

Friday - Fitness Class of your choice.  To be honest, this happened on Saturday morning and it wasn't really a "class of my choice".  Friday was positively insane around here with kids out of school, lots of activities on the calendar and several deadlines from work.  At 9:30 I was frazzled, tired and looking at the pilates DVD in my hand wishing it was a glass of wine when I realized I was not in the right frame of mind to be working out.  So I shelved the DVD, drank a glass of skim milk instead and went to bed!  Alarm set for 7am, I got up Saturday morning and polished off the Pilates Fat Burning workout.  I am missing the coordination gene, which is why I do these "classes" in private!  Pretty sure my rhythm was off but my hear rate was up and that's what counts.

So Week 1 of the 90-day Slim Down is complete - 11 weeks to go!

No comments: