Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Tackle-It Tuesday: Halloween Decorating


I love Halloween!  It is one of my favorite holidays, during my favorite season, and it kicks off all the wonderful holidays to come in November and December.  As soon as October hits, I pull out my box of Halloween decorations and sprinkle a little Halloween love all around the house.

We don't really do too much on the front porch - no scary spiders or ghouls.  Friends host a Halloween party every year, so we trick-or-treat in another neighborhood.  And our house is deep in the neighborhood, on a cul-de-sac, so we don't get many trick-or-treaters.  Our October wreath is one I made a few years ago.


It's very basic - just a grapevine wreath spray-painted black with webs attached.  A few spider rings and we're good to go.  My bow is looking a wee bit sad this year.  Probably need to upgrade to something fuller.

Inside the house, we have a few items sprinkled about. 





Some vintage decorations, a cute plate I found at Home Goods and a pumpkin jar full of dried black beans with spooky eyes peeking out.  I use black beans in my hurricane vases too.  Cheap, easy and reusable.

**Please excuse the horrible photography - bad camera, even worse camera operator.

The kids have a Halloween tree that they decorate (like an Easter tree, but with ghosts and ghouls).  We'll add pumpkins to the hearth and porch over the next few weeks.  Here in the south, it's not wise to get your pumpkins too early.  They rot in the heat.  Spooky - but gross.

All these little touches signal that the Halloween season is here, but don't take too much time to pull out or put away when November 1st rolls around.  That makes the transition to Thanksgiving easy!

No comments: